New Jersey Libertarian Party

The Party of Principle

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "Brady letters" sought in OPRA lawsuit

"Brady letters" sought in OPRA lawsuit 3 years 1 week ago #717

• JohnPaff
  • Fresh Boarder

Update:I received a voicemail on June 23, 2014 from a Wildwood Crest official telling me that he doesn't "have a Brady letter [and] never had one." The Prosecutor's May 5, 2014 denial of my OPRA request does not say that separate Brady letters exist for each of the three officials referenced in my OPRA request and named in my civil complaint.  The denial suggests that at least one Brady letter exists concerning at least one of these three officials.  Thus, it is entirely possible that the caller is being truthful in stating that a Brady letter pertaining to him never issued.

On June 13, 2014, attorney Richard Gutman of Montclair filed a lawsuit on my behalf seeking "Brady letters" from the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office.  My Complaint and Certification in John Paff v. Cape May County Prosecutor's Office, Docket No. CPM-L-265-14 are on-line here.

"Brady letters" are named after the United States Supreme Court's 1963 decision in the case of Brady v. Maryland.  That decision, among other things, requires law enforcement officials to notify criminal defendants and their lawyers whenever they receive information that a police officer involved in the defendants' cases has been untruthful.

Read more...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds